I’m working as much as I can at night to get this project off the ground. I can’t wait to get to the end result!
The pattern calls for 6 background fabrics in 3/4 yd cuts. Since I’m using a FQ bundle, all my cuts are FQs…
My solution was to group my background/light tan fabrics together in 6 sets of 3 fabrics. I am treating each set like a single 3/4 yd cut as called for in the cutting instructions. Here are 5 of my ‘sets’ of backgrounds.
I take the three FQ pieces and stack them neatly on my cutting board and proceeded to cut.
First, after trimming up a straight edge, I did the two skinny cuts for the 9 patch units.
Then, I cut three strips at 4 1/4″ each.
The pattern wants you to end up with six (6) rectangles that are 8″ long and also (21) squares. To do that I took one of the strips (that is 3 fabrics deep) and cut twice to get my 6 rectangles. Then I was able to get one more cut done for 3 of the squares.
I took the next strip group and cut it into 5 squares (15 total for all fabrics).
Finally, I just had to make one cut off the last set of strips to give me the total 21 squares needed. That left me with 3 background strips that were around 4 1/4″ x 17″ long. Scrap bin stash!
Here’s the result of one of my 3/4 yd sets:
The project pieces are at the top, again 6 rectangles (2 of each fabric) and 21 squares (7 of each fabric).
My leftovers are on the bottom of the picture. Some smaller pieces that I may never use, but certainly stash away those 4 1/4″ strip remains.
My progress so far … I have cut the red strips for the 9 patch units and I have cut this one ‘set’ of background fabric. I plan to catch up tonight on the cutting though!
Here’s Jewelry, helping me out as always…
Good thing this quilt will be for me. I wouldn’t let my kitties sit and walk on my quilt pieces for someone else’s quilt. Or at least, not intentionally.
Have a great day! Thanks for visiting!