Archives

Saturday Sewing

All 14 blocks for Reach for the Stars is done! 

I picked apart and reconstructed Block 12.

Here’s the old one:

RFTS Block 12

And here’s the new one (I forgot to set them on point for the picture):

RFTS Block 12 Redone

Much lighter feel to it.  Love it now.

And, drum roll …, Block 13 was completed today!  I even followed the directions for some of the pieces that were in 1/8 cuts, but it came out easier than I expected.  I used the Fit to be Geese ruler by Open Gate Quilts for my flying geese units.  Perfect every time.

RFTS Block 13

 

As a reminder, here is a picture of the cover quilt, designed and pieced by Terri Krysan and published in Quilters Newsletter magazine from Oct/Nov 2013 to Oct/Nov 2014.  I have the center medallion and the 14 surrounding blocks done now.

RFTS Vol1

But if you have made a quilt or two, you know as well as I do that I may not even be halfway through the work yet.  Those setting triangles, inner border and especially that pieced outer border will likely take as much time as the blocks did.  Better get started!

If you would like to see an exemplary completed version of Reach for the Stars – you MUST visit Dawn’s blog at First Light Designs.  She not only got her quilt top done before the end of last year, she has already gotten it back from her quilter and it is spectacular!  Dawn went with some cool tones of blue and green with black accents and it really makes the blocks pop out.  You can click HERE to visit her post from Jan 4th and see all her pictures.

I’m still doing well on a little quilting activity every day, even if it is 5 minutes to look at fabric choices.  I’ve gone a week without buying any new fabric, so that’s a real accomplishment for me.  Fortunately, I was already enrolled in some BOM programs, so a squishy package comes to my door anyway a few  times a month.

Hope you are having a snuggly weekend.  We have watched TV, eaten pizza and tried to stay warm inside.

See you again soon!

Jennifer

Sewing Sunday

I have kept one resolution and have broken another.  I have so far done some sewing every day this year, but yesterday – I had to break my resolution to not buy any fabric.  I made it 3 days.  Not even.  But there has to be some concessions for emergency fabric – right?

I got out my Quilters Newsletter magazines to find where I had left off on Reach for the Stars.  I needed to make Blocks 13 and 14, the last two blocks before getting into the setting triangles and borders.

As I was sifting through my stash, I pulled out the fabric I had for the sashing strips – so I could go ahead and cut them for these last two blocks.  And wouldn’t you know it …. I am short one strip.  I don’t know if I thought what I had would be enough, or if I’m not finding another piece that I have or what.  I need two little sashing strips that are 1 1/2″ wide and 14 1/2″ long.  Of course, the American Gothic collection by Pam Buda has long since sold out on Fat Quarter shop and I didn’t find what I needed on Etsy or eBay … so I did my Google search and found some from Old Country Store Fabrics online.  I guess I’ll have it by next weekend.

You can see the two blocks below that I have left to complete.  And my remaining two sashing strips for the last block, waiting for their partners.

RFTS Mag Sashing

To get back into this groove, I decided to piece Block 14 first – the simpler of the two.

RFTS Block 14

So, that leaves Block 13 – right?  Well, actually, I’m going to pick apart Block 12 first (see below) and select a different set of fussy cut pieces from my focus fabric to lighten it up a bit.  I never quite liked it.  The florals are too big for the block.

RFTS Block 12

Ready, set – go back to school time!!

Jennifer

Clover – FINISHED

Another productive day before we all return to our routines this week.  I decided to machine stitch the binding down on both sides for Clover.  In retrospect, I should have at least tried out a different thread color in the bobbin to blend in with the backing, but it’s all good.

Clover Binding

I prepped the label ahead of time, and stitched it into the corner while doing the binding.  Then I hand appliqued the other two sides.

This one is F.I.N.I.S.H.E.D.!  My friend, for which I meant to give it last year, is visiting this week from Colombia.  I’m so glad to be able to give it to her in person instead of shipping it.

Clover Label

Now that I have three quilt bindings behind me, I’m eyeing my Reach for the Stars project again.  I have two blocks left and then the quilt setting.  See you again soon!

Thanks for stopping by today,

Jennifer